The truest, most beautiful life never promises to be an easy one. We need to let go of the lie that it’s supposed to be.
My first self-published book was about life transitions. Life transitions can be major, minor or anywhere in between, but they also bring many feeling and emotions before, during and after the transition itself. The transition into motherhood is one of the biggest transitions a woman may go through in her lifetime. And, once you become a mother, the life transitions will still keep coming!
The following are some types of life transitions you may have experienced:
Life transitions we have some choice and control over include:
- Relationship changes such as marriage, divorce, estrangement, etc.
- Moving including locally, domestically and internationally.
- Your career path including where you went to school, choosing full or part time employment, deciding to be a stay-at-home mom or a working outside of the home mom, starting a new job, job promotions, retirement, etc.
Life transitions we have little or no control over include:
- The loss of a loved one- spouse, parent, sibling, extended family/friend, etc.
- Women’s health including pregnancy complications, miscarriage, infertility, postpartum mood disorders, menopause, etc.
- Medical issues including a new diagnosis, an illness, surgery, an accident, etc.
- Court cases where you’re the one being sued
- Moving when you didn’t have a choice such as a military post change.
- Career changes such as a promotion.
There are often heightened feelings and emotions that may show up around life transitions. These may include:
- Grief and loss
And, don’t forget the recent collective life transition for all of us, COVID-19. Continue to be kind, gentle and compassionate towards yourself and others during times of transition.