You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging.
So, it’s August and I just completed my 2023 vision board. Granted, it’s been a really hectic year with an international family move, waiting four months for our household goods and five months for our car. But all that being said, after weeks of looking at my blank 2023 cork board, and trying to figure out if I should just let it go for this year and just focus on 2024 in December, I reminded myself that this is truly important to me. It’s something I’ve done for myself personally and professionally for many years. It’s something I enjoy creating and looking at throughout the year. Even though it’s eight (almost nine!) months into the year, I decided to just do it, and I’m happy to report that I’m so glad I did. This project truly brought me joy while I was creating it, and truly brings me joy when I look at it! Is there something that’s important to you that you’ve been putting off this year?
Let’s dive into this concept of what’s important in life, and doing things on your own timeline, not someone else’s timeline (or what society deems as the norm).
First, what are some things you can or need to let go of (or stop doing) in your life today? Here are some ideas:
- Perfectionism and not feeling like you’re enough right here and now
- Beating yourself up when you mess up or make a mistake
- Judgment and criticism of yourself and others
- Not setting and maintaining clear boundaries with others
- Low self-esteem and low self-worth
- Looking for validation externally
- Self-love struggles
- Not prioritizing self-care
- Putting other people’s wants and needs before your own (your people pleasing tendencies)
- Not living your true, authentic life
What else would you add here?
And, things to do more of in your life… starting today!
- Embracing your perfectly imperfect self
- Showing yourself more grace and loving kindness
- Sending compassion outward towards others and inward towards yourself
- Setting and maintaining clear boundaries with others
- Focusing on raising self-esteem and self-worth
- Looking inward for self-validation
- Loving yourself fully
- Prioritizing self-care
- Taking care of your own wants and needs first (within reason of course, especially if you’re a mom of young kids)
- Creating your true, authentic life
What else would you add to this list?
Self-care for when you’re feeling lot in life:
- Talk to a therapist
- Journal about how you’re really feeling
- Read about topics that you love
- Meditate to help you feel more present
- Focus on mindfulness and your five senses to help ground you in the moment
- Emotionally connect with family and friends
- Spend time outdoors
- Exercise/move your body/do gentle stretches
- Snuggle with your pet who loves you unconditionally
- Get cozy- grab your fuzzy blanket, slippers, a warm drink, etc.
What else helps you when you’re feeling lost in life?
It can be hard to take good care of yourself, especially when life gets busy or throws you for a loop. Focusing on what you do and don’t have control over can be helpful. Also remember that you’re not alone in your current life struggles. I’m sending lots of compassion and support your way as you navigate the most recent transitions in your life.